New For 2017 onX app upgraded features: onX app review
I’ve been using onX Â now for… well since they started making chips for my GPS… and I was lucky enough to be one of the in field testers for the the onX Â app for iPhone. Honestly I think its one of those tools that has become part of my hunting planning and in field navigation. I did a podcast last year on some of the ways i use while in the field click here to listen..Â I learned that I could not only use the onX maps to plan my hunts, find public lands and obtain permission for pirvate land, that i could use it to plan my stalks and use it to stay in cover while i made my approach. listen to the podcast for more details..
Anyway! Today onX has launched their new and improved platform for navigation and planning for the 2017 hunting season.
In addition to a revamped user interface and improved offline usage, onX has teamed up with several outdoor organizations to offer new features:
- onX’s New Topo Basemap: onX spent more than 5 years compiling every trail and 2-track in the United States
- Boone and Crockett Records: This layer provides B&C information on trophy records by species and county for all 50 states.
- Randy Newberg’s Roadless Layer: onX continues their long-standing relationship with Randy Newberg to create a layer for those hunters who want to go deeper into the backcountry. This map highlights areas that are the furthest away from roads using heat imagery.
- Prairie Dog Layer: onX spent five months poring over satellite imagery to create the most comprehensive map of existing prairie dog towns in the U.S. â over 16,000 in total.
- Historic Wildfires Layer: Hunters have known for years that animals will enter recently burned forests, especially as new growth emerges. This layer presents areas that have been hit by wildfires, including the fires’ names, year of the fire, and the number of acres burned.
- USFS Timber Cuts: This layer is perfect for hunters looking for clear cuts or thinned areas of the forest. It displays logging operations on National Forest Land from 2002-2017.
These new features coupled with the already awesome usability of this app sets onX apart from any of the other guys. I cant wait to put it to use here in a few weeks.Â