Looking for a few Coues Deer Recipes? well I have one that actually makes two different meals for you. So I was developing a new marinade for making coues deer jerky and in the process I discovered and excellent coues deer taco recipe. Often when I make jerky I will use half the meat for BBQ and half for jerky mainly because I cant make that much deer jerky in my Ninja Air Fryer at one time. Well this deer marinade made excellent carne asada and will now be my go to for deer backstrap tacos.
Normally I don’t use back-straps or loins for jerky I typically use less favorable cuts and cuts that have a bit of fat but as it turns out my family came over and raided my freezer and I was only left with the meat in my frig which were the back-straps from my wife’s coues buck.
1 Full coues deer back-strap
1/3 cup of brown sugar
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup of soy sauce
1/3 cup of kikoman teriyaki
1 tbsp chipotle pepper
1 tbsp Smoked paprika
1 tsp black pepper
1tbsp of Liquid Hickory Smoke
2 cups colby Jack cheese
fresh cilantro or dried
- Mix all the ingredients in a large stainless of porcelain bowl until evenly mixed
- Then Slice Coues deer Backstrap on a bias ( see below for definition) in even medallions about an 3/16- 1/4 of an inch thick
- Take all your slices and put them in your marinade mixture.
- I like to mix and massage the meat in the marinade with my hand wearing a vinyl glove
- Cover and leave over night
(Slicing on the Bias
A bias cut simply means cutting on the diagonal. Hold your food at a slight angle to the knife and slice. Bias cuts are often across the grain of the meat.)
Coues deer Jerky Directions
- Pat dry some of the excess marinade off the meat as you place it onto your air fryer or dehydrator tray placed them with some space for air flow
- Set your temp to 150- 160 for 4 hours .
- After 3 hours pause and check your jerky at this point it should be fairly close. At this time I like sprinkle a bit of salt over all the meat and put back in for the remaining time it needs.
- Once complete pull out and let set on a rack until it cools to room temp then before putting in air tight storage for best keeping
Coues Deer Taco Directions
- Pre-heat grill to 400 deg
- places medallions on hot grill for approximately 2 mins per side enough to brown and make grill marks but not cook completely through
- Set medallions on a cutting board and let rest for a few mins then cut them into 1/4″-1/2″ pieces
- Heat up a suace pan with 2 tbsp of olive oil throw the pieces of meat into the pan and immediately add 1-2 cups of shredded Colby jack cheese
- Mix the cheese and meat mixture until cheese melts then remove from heat
- Toast tortillas on open flame
- Place enough meat to fill tortilla to desired awesomeness
- Place a slice or two of avocado a little sour cream and a dash of salt to taste. I also like to add a sprinkle of dried cilantro or even better a touch of fresh cilantro if i have it. Then serve with a Dos XX ð